CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, November 28, 2009

He Get It From His Mama, Who In Turn Got It From Her Mama

What could I possibly be talking about? My stubborn streak. I always think I'm right, and so does my mom, and so does my grandma. I've always known that they had to have things there way, but I never put 2 and 2 together to see that that's where I get if from. My grandma is known for answering the question "why" with a no. Like it wasn't a yes or no question, I was trying to get to the root of the situation. Her response of "no!" just shuts the whole discussion down. It's like how dare I have an opinion that's not kept to myself. Sure, I may be 35, but she'll be 85 next month. I should know better.

My mom is the same way. She gets these thoughts in her head and wont let them go no matter what anybody else says. This weeks topic was getting a birthday card for my nephew/brother Nate. You may recall from about 20 days ago, Nate hanging up on me when I called to tell him Happy Birthday. Well, apparently a call isn't enough. "He needs a card." Let me tell you about me: I don't remember to send cards. Even if I buy it a month in advance, you wont ever get it. Either I don't have stamps, or I leave it on the table next to the door and forget to take it out. Out of all the family this year, I only got one nephew a card b/c I actually went to his birthday party. If we were waiting for mail... never would have got it. I tried telling her that. Nope it didn't work. "Nate is important, he deserves a card." Okay, men don't really care about cards. You always signed Will's name, and before that my father's name to the card. We just don't think about that kind of stuff. Argument rejected... "get him a card." Okay, I'll get him a card, but don't expect me to remember all the time. I'm just not wired that way. And what about that phone call? It would never fly if I was to hang up on Uncle Alan, so why is it no big deal when he hangs up on me. "He's nine." I know he's nine.. that's old enough to not be rewarded for bad behavior. Again, if I hung up on my uncle, there would have been consequences and repercussions. Just get him a card. Okay, but don't think because I didn't get him a card, that means I don't care. I didn't get anyone a card. You know what - this conversation is going nowhere. I can be as stubborn as my mom, but I don't think I can out stubborn her. Let me just end this conversation...

I realized I get it from my mama, who got from her mama. I wonder if she got from her mama...

3 comments:

Ginae said...

in the last few years, i too have come to the same realization. despite the fact that my mom has a few things about her that really bother me, i find myself behaving in the same manner. the very thing that i dislike about moms, i've managed to have the same traits...such trickery! lol..

now that i'm conscious of this, i'm working hard to change. it's amazing the things we get from the parentals that we may or may not realize. at least you are aware now...knowledge is power!

Jameil said...

the worst thing about this exchange is that i was sitting there... i was like AWKWARD.... Am I supposed to be pretending I'm not hearing this? What do I do with my hands? Very strange. I chose sit there on the computer until called upon.

Nexgrl said...

Jameil, you are better than me, because I would have excused myself.

Rashan, now that you know, you can take the high road and not even discuss certain things with them.